Saturday, April 11, 2009

MySpace, Facebook, Twitter... Technology

Okay, so, it seems that just as you're REALLY getting the hang of something... something "newer and better" comes along. It's constantly a game of catch-up.

In my life, there was first a cell phone (after I had graduated from college and not counting the family Apple Mac computer we had when I was 12 that had a black and white monitor and the "internet" didn't exist). Then came designing my own website. Then there were text messages, MySpace, Facebook and now there's Twitter and "Tweet Deck." I'm of "Generation X." Computers in every home, internet and everything else related to that, were JUST becoming a part of life when I was in high school (graduated in 1996). I remember playing the computer game "The Oregon Trail" when it was essentially a DOS program... not Windows and point and click. I really wanted a beeper, to keep in touch with my friends, and never got one. Isn't it just amazing how times have changed?

When I wanted to know what was going on with my favorite singing group, I had to buy a "Teen Beat" magazine or something else like that and hope that the local radio station was interested in playing their music and giving the listener updates. If you wanted to buy concert tickets, you had to wait in line at a Ticketmaster ticket window and hope you got lucky. Meeting the group? That was pretty much completely out of the question unless you, somehow, had an "in" and knew someone who knew someone. Now you just get online when the tickets go on sale and select to buy a VIP package. It's a guarenteed meet and greet! On top of that, I can now "follow" the group members on Twitter and see anything they want to say or what they're up to, first hand. Pretty cool.

Here's the thing... it seems that just as I was getting really comfortable with MySpace and using that to find out what's going on with friends and celebrities I like, people were talking about Facebook and setting up accounts with Facebook. So, I had to set up a Facebook page if I wanted to find out what my friends were up to and reconnect with people. Then I heard about Twitter... ahhh, another "social networking" site to find out the latest about what's going on in the lives of friends and the "rich and famous." Now I'm in a position where I'm updating 3 different sites a day. Talk about time consuming. I mean, afterall, you want to make sure that everyone you know and that knows you, knows what's going on, don't you? :-) It's just all pretty amusing.

I wonder what they'll think of next?

No comments: