Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Martian Child and A Child Called 'It'

I read these books over the course of this weekend. Both were very good and full of information. "The Martian Child" was a single father's story about adopting a son through the US Foster System and "A Child Called 'It'" was an adult's story about the abuse he went through between the ages of 4 and 12. At the end of that book, there were several abuse statistics for the US. At the end of the book, we also found out that this guy's case of abuse was the third worst in the entire state of California at the time. I decided to look online for the most recent statistics. WOW!! There are MILLIONS of abused children in the US and tons of them need permanent, loving, protective, homes. I want to help! I want to give at least one of these children a loving home with a loving family. I am still researching all of this and I still have to talk to Zac but I would really like to adopt a child from the Foster System (this is also one of the most inexpensive methods of adoption). Yes, these are the "problem kids" according to the schools and "professionals." My mom knows, she's a "chapter" teacher at a local elementary school in my hometown. That doesn't mean they are any less deserving of a permanent home. Now, the challenge for me in this journey will be to get Zac to support me in it. He can be a complete part of it (by adopting with me as my "domestic partner") or he can be a small part of it by simply being my live-in boyfriend. Under either circumstance, I am allowed to adopt. Since he lives in the house, he still has to have a background check and be part of the home-study but he doesn't have a very big part in the rest of it all. (Although, I imagine that he would still be a big part in the child's life.) Well, I pray that this is something that I am able to do. I am considering children born in 1997 or later (that's at least 20 years younger than me).

No comments: