Monday, February 25, 2008

More on International Adoption

Well, I recently heard about a website about adoption in China. http://research-china.blogspot.com/ This site talks more about the process and some of the problems with adoption from there (i.e. rural families having healthy children and then selling them in the "black market" because they can make more in a year with a child than with raising a pig, for example). This is the kind of thing that I think is discouraging Zac from wanting to adopt Internationally. So, this guy encourages American families to adopt Special Needs children and make more healthy children available domestically (in China and other countries). Well, to be honest, I've thought about adopting a SN child from Asia. This other site kind of reinforces the need to adopt SN children. I, for one, am open to that idea. As I've said in previously blogs, there are certain special needs that I am open to (skin problems, deafness, cleft lip/pallat, limb deformities... things like that). Not to mention, the wait for a SN child is much shorter than the wait for a healthy child. Well, that's something to think about and certainly an argument I could make to Zac FOR International Adoption.

1 comment:

tiffany said...

While I think Brians site is interesting and some of his info is probably correct, I do not agree with him whole-heartedly. There are just SO many orphans in China (and other places) that it is unbelievable to me that there is much baby selling/buying going on. Certainly not saying it doesnt happen, but I doubt it is all that common. Also, at least in China, the price to pay if you are caught doing this is DEATH. This must discourage a few. ;) No, but really, there was a well known baby selling case in Hunan Province a few years ago and do you know what happened to those accused? They are DEAD. They do not mess around with appeals and innocent until proven guilty in China. They mean business.

Anyhow, SN is a great way to go. We have 2 daughters who are "NSN" from China and a son who we adopted through the SN program. His SN was listed as a heart condition and possible head condition. The head condition turned out to be non-existant and the heart condition is/was easily correctible in the US. Things that are considered SN in China are often not SN's here since our medical capabilities are more advanced and easily accessible than theirs.

Anyhow, I am rambling, but I wouldnt let Brians site influence you not to adopt. :)