Wednesday, August 13, 2008

CASA

Court Appointed Special Advocate. This is my new endeavor. It's a bit more difficult to get into social work than I expected, without a degree in that field. I could probably do it but will need a bit more experience in the related subject. Yesterday I saw an ad on TV for CASA and I checked out the website. CASA volunteers do exactly what I'd like to do... help kids in the system find permanent, loving homes. Too bad it's not a paid position. Today I decided to look up the CASA office in my area and give them a call. I called them and the lady sounded pretty excited that I was interested in volunteering. They also have a new training session starting in September. I happen to have this Friday off work and her availability is open on Friday so I scheduled to meet with her on Friday to find out more about the program and stuff. My only concern is working all of this into my work schedule. I REALLY hope that it's possible. Luckily, I'm just working at the ski shop now (instead of two jobs) so I should be able to make the time. I hope David, my boss, is helpful too. He's kind of self-involved so I hope that he understands my desire and need to do this and will work with me on my schedule to make it possible. We'll see. He's back from vacation tomorrow. Well, wish me luck in my journey to make a difference in Children's lives. :-)

No comments: