Sunday, August 31, 2008

The New Kids

I just wanted to share more thoughts here.

First of all... I love the internet! It's pretty cool how, anywhere you look, you can find articles, pictures and videos on just about anything. It's a great platform to share thoughts, joys, sadness... everything (if you want to share). It's a great way to "talk" to celebrities you like (even if they never read or see what you write). It's nice to know that there's a way to share your thoughts with them. For those of us who are die hard fans of a particular individual or group, it's especially cool. I mean, we can completely get our "fill" of our favorite celebrities and even feel like they are having conversations with us. How cool is that?

Well, the New Kids on the Block released their first album in 1986 with their self-titled album. They hit it big in 1988 with the album, "Hangin' Tough." I'd say that's probably when I really became a fan (I did buy their debut album around the time that "Hangin' Tough" came out). It's been 20 years since they first hit it big and had droves of fans watching their every move. I'm sure that was pretty crazy for them. Well, what is even more amazing to me is that, after 20 years, they can come back with a fan base almost as big as it was at their peak in the 1980's. They've grown up, matured and lived their lives and so have we, yet we are right here to support them 100%. What does that say about us? What does it say about them? Are we all crazy? Maybe a little. :-) I think that, more than anything, we are just dedicated and the guys have it figured out. Their new album is right on with the current music trends (from what I've seen) and we fans have followed those trends too (for the most part). It all works together. We are extremely excited about this second opportunity to see the guys and meet them and, in a way, get to know them.

Speaking for myself... I never got to see them in the 80's. I was 11 years old in 1988 and, to say the least, my parents weren't about to buy tickets to take me to one of their concerts. I had to settle with TV specials (like their concert and special in Disney World), which I watched over, and over, and over again. It got to the point where I had every part of that special memorized. The crazy thing was that we didn't get the Disney channel (our cable company was just doing one of their promotions where we got that channel for a week or so). I'm glad that now, 20 years later, I finally have the opportunity to see the guys in concert (I wish I had the means to follow them around and go to every show this time around). I also felt that this was an opportunity of a lifetime so I decided to invest in a VIP5 pass through their website to ensure that I'd not only get a great seat at their concert but that I would also get to meet them (and maybe chat with them a little). There's one thing I'd like to add though... I'd love to have a video crew follow me around for the day to capture every moment of the day so that I could watch the memory over and over again. I definitely think that it will be one of the happiest days of my life. I'll carry a smile from ear to ear all day on that day.

I'm really glad that all of the guys decided to get on board. There couldn't be a reunion without all of them. It wouldn't be the New Kids and it just wouldn't be right. I'm anxiously anticipating their new album. I pre-ordered the deluxe edition on Barnesandnoble.com so I won't get it on the day that it releases but if I can, I might just go to Wal-mart on Tuesday and buy the regular copy of the album just so that I can hear it when all of the other fans are. I can't wait to hear their "mature" sounds and listen to music that is just, simply, great! The album will also heighten my anticipation about their Denver concert. Unfortunately, that concert isn't until November so I have a few months to wait. I'll be heading down to Denver earlier in the day to do some shopping and check into my hotel. I decided it would be best for me to just stay at a hotel in Denver after the concert rather than drive the 2 1/2 hours back home to the mountains after the concert. Although, I'm sure that I'll be so hyped up after the concert that I won't be able to sleep anyway, but oh well.

One last thing... Thanks guys for coming back. We couldn't be more ecstatic!!!

No comments: